About Phase 2 Books
This band is the very first level of reading books which has words. The number of words increases slightly as your child progresses through the reading band sets. These books contain phonemes and tricky words from Phase 2.
How to support your child
Your child is beginning to recognise letters (graphemes) and the sounds (phonemes) associated with them. In their daily Phonics sessions, they are learning to segment and blend (sound out) words in order to read them. As they read, please help them to:
- Practise the phonemes and tricky words on the inside cover of their book.
- Read the words carefully. Ask your child to sound out (segment) and blend only the words they cannot read yet, not every word. Eventually, almost all words will become part of your child’s ‘sight memory’, and they won’t have to sound out at all.
- On second and third readings of the book, encourage them to read with more pace and with less focus on sounding out the phonemes in each word.
- Tell you about something that happened in the book, or about something they found out in the book.
- Encourage them to look at the illustrations.
My Band Reading Targets
- I can recognise my own name
- I understand that print conveys meaning
- I can segment and blend words containing Phase 2 phonemes
- I can locate the title
- I can turn the pages appropriately
- I understand that the left page comes before the right
- I understand that we read print left to right
- I can match spoken word to printed word
- I can read Phase 2 tricky words.
I can recognise all of the following phonemes;
I can read these Phase 2 tricky words;