About White Band
In White Band books, there is a more sophisticated use of narrative voice. Clauses in longer sentences are separated by commas to encourage developing intonation. Some books have longer chapters for more sustained reading. The stories included at White Band, encourage children to empathise with the characters and consider why they behave as they do, and how they change during the course of the story. The non-fiction books are divided into sections that require more sustained reading and there is increased challenge in the layout of the information.
How to support your child reading White Band books
Your child is now reading longer books with fewer illustrations, so they continue to need your help to ensure they are getting the full meaning and enjoyment from the text. They may prefer to read one chapter or section at a time, rather than reading the whole book in one session. You can support them by:
- Asking them to read some pages of the book aloud to you so that you can enjoy hearing them reading with expression and pace.
Asking them to find parts of the text which describe a character or place and talking about the words used in the description.
- Asking for regular updates as to what is happening in the book, so that you know how the different chapters or sections link.
- Talking about how much they enjoy a book, or a type of book. Encourage them to look for more books of the type they enjoy
My White Band Reading Targets
- I can read words containing common suffixes
- I can discuss the sequence of events in books and how items of information are related
- I can search for and find information in texts more flexibly
- I can recognise simple recurring literary language in stories and poetry
- I can discuss and clarify the meanings of words, linking new meanings to known vocabulary
- I can express reasoned opinions about what I read and compare texts
- I can predict what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far
- I can read silently, sustaining interest in longer texts, returning to them easily
- I notice and respond to humorous elements of text